Elliot Weave








Company History


Andrew Elliot left school at 15 years of age in 1941, and started training as a textile designer at Wilson & Glennie's in his native Hawick, with day release studies at the Scottish College of Textiles in Galashiels.

In 1943, he joined the Royal Navy, where he served during World War II in the Pacific. Returning in 1947, he commenced a degree course at the college, and following graduation, worked practically in design with mills in Scotland, England and Ireland.

In 1960, he set up privately as a textile consultant with Scottish Harris Tweed Trade, Otterburn Mill in England (mainly export to USA, Canada and Japan), McNutt Hand Weavers of Co. Donegal, and St. Patrick & Carbury Woollen Mills in Co. Cork.

He set up A. Elliot (Fine Fabrics) Ltd in 1965, while still working as a freelance consultant. Originally run from the family home in Selkirk, the company moved into Forest Mill in 1972, and by purchasing equipment from a closing mill, the company began manufacturing it's range of designs, including District Checks, unusual travel rugs, scarves and specially designed tartans. Andrew Elliot continued to be involved in the business right up until his death in March 2009.